Bir Billing, a village near Dharmashala in Himachal Pradesh, has emerged as one of the top paragliding destinations of the world. The aero-sport has become very popular in India of late and ever since the picturesque village hosted the World Cup of this adventure sport in 2015, catering to 150 top paragliders and 500 free flyers, paragliding in Bir Billing has earned a global repute. As all the required facilities are in place as well as a host of other attractions, a trip to this tourist destination is a must for adventure lovers. Paragliding season runs from October to July.
One of the main concerns of adventure seekers who wish to live their fantasy of flying through paragliding is safety. Bir Billing is the ideal destination for not just professionals and frequent free flyers, but also if you want to experience it for the first time.
Paragliding Safety in Bir Billing
Trained and experienced pilots take care of taking safety measures to ensure that you can revel in your flight without any concerns. The pilots are trained to factor in air speed, cloud, altitude, wind, temperature and the route to determine the safety of flight. Since the 2015 World Cup, the services of some of the top paragliding pilots of the World are available in Bir Billing to conduct flights for tourists. These pilots are so adept at conducting paragliding flights that most first-timers don’t even need to run when taking off from Earth and head skywards.
What Makes Bir Billing Paragliding Special?
Paragliding in Bir Billing is a special experience for professionals and amateurs alike because of the perfect natural settings that the tourist spot has to offer. These include:
- The takeoff site in the village has smooth winds that allow easy uplift. Experienced professionals piloting the ride for amateurs make sure that it goes through without any qualms and hassles. The landing site must be where there are no or negligible threats of accidents and quick help available. Bir Billing landing sites have these advantages.
- The rate of air currents in Bir Billing is 6 to 12 meters per second in summer and 4 to 8 in spring. The average rate of air current throughout the year is 5 meter per second which is ideal for uplift and safe flight even at a giddying height of 5000 meters.
- The height of cloud above sea level is called cloud base in paragliding parlance. Greater the cloud base, easier to gain height. The cloud base of 4000-6000 meters in Bir Billing makes paragliding safe and a fascinating experience for adventure enthusiasts.
How to Prepare for Paragliding
Paragliding promises unadulterated thrill for an adventure seeker, especially at a destination with ideal weather conditions like Bir Billing. However, if you are new to the sport, it is important to prepare well to minimize risks and maximize fun. The following are some useful tips before going on your paragliding flight:
- Wear light clothes and do not eat or drink before the flight.
- You need to be calm and not let the excitement of the sport get the better of you.
- Choose to go for tandem flights if it is your first time or you have not undergone training to go solo.
- Listen to and understand all safety precautions that your pilot explains.
- Children below 18 are not allowed to go on a paragliding flight without parents.
Experience Paragliding and More in Bir Billing
Bir Billing provides different forms of paragliding experience to the enthusiasts. You can go sailing in the clouds safely by on a pilot-operated tandem flight or learn to do it solo by training for two weeks. Exclusive professional training that continue for months are also available as well as parasailers and handgliders for one-timers. Bir Billing also offers a range of other attractions such as
Ever since the pleasant village in Himachal has hosted the world cup of paragliding, its soaring popularity has led to the development of excellent amenities for tourists.